1. Naked was coined by my wife, based on how she perceives my philosophy of unadulterated simplicity. Finn is the name of the lead from the 1998 movie version of Great Expectations. Francesco Clemente was commissioned for the paintings and drawings in the film and I love the sketchbook of sea life that Finn 'drew'.
2. We believe less is more… but to achieve that, we actually need to do more (work), as sourcing and preserving quality takes up an enormous amount of resources, in terms of time and money.
3. With top quality ingredients, it's a shame to embellish and hide their natural subtle flavours with unnecessary seasoning and so we usually stick with just olive oil, sea salt and occasionally, unsalted butter when cooking.
4. The dips and sauces we offer are basically “modifiers” to add sweetness, saltiness, sourness and spiciness. I personally prefer not to use them but it is your choice as taste is personal.
5. Achieving consistency in our products is based on having quality supplies coupled with maintaining a strong and capable team. Our entire core team has been with us since the beginning and that has allowed seamless knowledge and skills transfer to the new hires.
6. Sourcing for top quality ingredients from the best suppliers does not, and should not be exclusive to well-known products from big name suppliers. In fact, most of our products are sourced from smaller fisheries that focus on non-mainstream species and truly sustainable practices.
7. Sustainability to us is not about buying sustainably-caught vulnerable or endangered species. It is the focus on introducing non-mainstream species to our customers so that those under threat will have a chance of recovery.
8. Our menu lists the official FAO and scientific names of the species we offer. This is our fight against seafood fraud in Singapore. Being informed, we believe our customers will be better equipped in making the right choices in the future, be it in our restaurants or others.
9. More than 90% of our products are (hand)made in-house, from the sauces to the sorbets. Which means the team works throughout the day with no rest between lunch and dinner. This is to ensure product quality and consistency.
10. Value is paying reasonable rate for quality products. Our menu is not priced low but it is definitely not overpriced. We work really hard to keep our capital and operating expenses low just so we can price our products at a much lower margin than the industry standard's.
Ken Loon November, 2015
For reservations, please click here or call +65 6694 0807 (after 11:00am)